Thursday, June 6, 2013

Easy Everyday Uses for Coconut Oil

We have moved to a new home! Come visit us at Capturing Inspirations at capturinginspirations.com!

If you haven't jumped on the coconut oil bandwagon yet, here's an extra push that will serve you well! Since my personal testing of this tropical oil treat, I have yet to turn back to my old ways. I am a nutrition nerd to say the least and have read some pretty interesting information that I would like to share regarding this topic. I will also teach you three major, yet simple, ways to incorporate coconut oil into your lifestyle and to improve you health and well-being.

Coconut oil is a saturated fat that contains medium-chain fatty acids that the body has the ability to metabolize very quick and easily into energy. The medium-chain fatty acids have many healthy properties that make it deserving of a closer look . It contains anti-fungal, anti-microbial, and anti-viral properties. Coconut oil does not contain cholesterol and has been shown to help lower cholesterol. It normalizes blood sugar and helps lower stress on our bodies. It helps improve circulation in the skin and contains antioxidants. Shall I go on? This is a VERY brief synopsis of all the wonderful benefits of coconut oil. (Source: Eating for Beauty by David Wolfe).

If you'd like to read more about it, I highly recommend the books mentioned at the end of this paragraph for nutritional information. You will find that I reference them quite frequently since I trust the author's expertise completely. They contain a wealth of knowledge and coconut oil merely scratches the surface of what you will learn from these incredibly intelligent people. 
Two of my favorite books: Eating for Beauty by David Wolfe and The Beauty Detox Foods by Kimberly Snyder.




3 EXTREMELY easy ways to add a little tropical oil treat in your life!
Let the healthy indulgence begin!

1- COOKING- I swap all my former butter loving uses for coconut oil. My discovery? Not only does coconut oil have a higher smoke point (so you won't be consuming toxins with your food), but I simply prefer the subtle flavor of the oil to butter. It's light and delicious and I dare you to try! I also pat myself on the back when I realize a stick of butter in my fridge lasts over a month instead of just a week. My arteries and vascular health love me so much more now that coconut oil has become a staple in my kitchen cooking.

2- MOUISTURIZING - While you cooking, dab a little under your eyes or on your lips. Massage a bit on your hands. Not only will you smell like you're heading to the beach, but your skin will drink up the moisture. Toss those chemical-laden creams and lotions that do more harm than good, and slather on some coconut oil instead. I now buy two jars, one for my kitchen and one for my bathroom. Another favorite use of mine is to create my own sugar scrub with 3 simple ingredients. Sugar, coconut oil, and a few drops of an essential oil of your choice. Your skin is going to glow!

3 - HEALING - Cracked feet? Baby have cradle cap? (if you are not sure what that is, then don't worry about it) Scrape? Cut? Burn??? Swipe on some coconut oil and let its' natural healing properties do the job. It's quick and easy and has saved me from using expensive creams or chemical products.

Recommendation: Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil
The brand is your choice, this is the one I use.


Well, there you have it! It's not rocket science. Just a few quick ways to improve many areas of your health. We can all use a little inspiration to try new, healthier things. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header Image by Arpi